Wednesday, December 14, 2011

I Have Become My Mother

When I was in elementary school about 45 years ago, my mother would visit my classroom once or twice a year.  As far as I know, she never told anyone she was coming (especially me).  Since I was a perfect kid (!?), she obviously did not come because of behavior problems.  She just sat there and observed. 

Yesterday, I went and visited my daughter’s math class. 

I would encourage all parents to take an hour or two to visit their child or children’s classes, particularly while they are in elementary school (when it is a distraction and not an embarrassment).  Just sit and watch.  I guarantee it will be interesting, and most likely very different than what you remember from school.  

Given totally appropriate concerns on the part of the school, you have to make arrangements prior to a visit. 

I want to thank the Riverside School Principal, Assistant Principal, and my daughter’s teacher for making me feel welcome.



Brian BTN

No comments:

Post a Comment